17 January 2018 01:02 PM

Egypt and Russia

Sunday، 10 December 2017 - 12:00 AM

Diplomatic relations between Egypt and Russia dates back to 1943, when Egypt's Embassy in Moscow and Soviet Embassy in Cairo and its consulate in Alexandria have been established.

In August 1948, the first economic agreement between the two countries was signed on the exchange of Egyptian cotton with grain and timber from the Soviet Union. In the wake of the 1952 Revolution, the Soviet Union documented its relations with Egypt on economic, military and commercial levels.

Bilateral relations reached their peak in the 1950s and 1960s, when late President Gamal Abdel Nasser took power. Thousands of Soviet experts helped establish productive institutions in Egypt, including the Aswan High Dam, the Iron and Steel Factory in Helwan, the Aluminum Complex in Nagaa Hammadi, Aswan - Alexandria Electricity Lines and 97 industrial projects were completed with the contribution of the Soviet Union. Since 1950s, Egyptian Armed Forces have been supplied with Soviet weapons.

Relations between the two countries took different course when late President Anwar al-Sadat took power as the relations witnessed  some kind of tension, however it quickly began to improve gradually under the rule of former President Hosni Mubarak.

Egypt was one of the first countries to establish diplomatic relations with the Russian Federation after the collapse of the former Soviet Union in 1991. It was followed by political relations at the level of the heads of state, government and parliamentary levels. This was reflected in the first official visit of former President Mubarak to the Russian Federation in September 1997. During this visit, Russian cooperation agreement and seven agreements were signed. This was followed by two presidential visits to Russia in 2001 and 2006.

Related Stories

Most Visited

From To