Presidential Activity February 2020
Wednesday، 18 March 2020 - 03:42 PM
President's meetings with officials
February 1: President Abdel Fattah El Sisi made his directives during a meeting with Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli, Minister of Petroleum and Mineral Resources Tariq El Molla and presidential aide for national and strategic projects Sherif Ismail and called for maximizing the economic benefits of Egypt's natural resources for development purposes and to serve the country's goal to be become a regional trading hub for oil and natural gas.
February 2: During a meeting with Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli, in the presence of the ministers of electricity, military production, finance, public business sector, transport and trade, President Abdel Fattah El Sisi has directed the government to pay more attention to the industry of electric vehicles, through cooperation with global automakers, to establish a regional center for manufacturing and exporting electric cars.
February 2: During a meeting with Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli, Minister of Housing, Utilities and Urban Communities Assem el Gazzar and Presidential Adviser for Urban Planning Amir Sayed Ahmed, President Abdel Fattah El Sisi ordered the government to scale up its slum improvement efforts nationwide to ensure a decent life for slum dwellers and provide them with better services.
February 3: During a meeting with Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli and the cabinet's economic group, President Abdel Fattah El Sisi instructed the government to take immediate action to enable financially ailing firms to resume their business activity and called for striking a deal with banks to revive stalled factories and help them operate again at full capacity.
February 4: During a meeting with Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli and Civil Aviation Minister Mohamed Enabah, President Abdel Fattah El Sisi has directed the government to step up efforts to develop the civil aviation sector and all affiliated companies and called for drawing up a vision that focuses on making good use of the sector's available resources, as well as rationalization of spending.
February 4: During a meeting with Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli and the ministers of supply, finance and interior, President Abdel Fattah El Sisi followed up the government efforts to improve the bread subsidy system and called for coordination among the bodies concerned to take measures necessary for upgrading every aspect of the bread subsidy system nationwide.
February 6: During a meeting with Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli and presidential aide for national and strategic projects Sherif Ismail along with number of ministers, President Abdel Fattah El Sisi ordered proceeding with the Egyptian state's ambitious plan to develop the spinning and weaving industry and help the Egyptian cotton regain its glory.
February 12: During a meeting with Central Bank of Egypt (CBE) governor Tarek Amer, and CBE deputy governor Gamal Negm, President Abdel Fattah El Sisi directed state officials to continue efforts of improving the economic fundamentals and maintaining the monetary and banking stability.
February 15: During a meeting with Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli and Minister of Public Business Sector Hisham Tawfiq, President Abdel Fattah El Sisi has ordered to continue exerting efforts to develop companies of the public business sector.
February 18: During a meeting with Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli and members of the supreme committee for state land restoration chaired by former prime minister Sherif Ismail, President Abdel Fattah El Sisi has directed the bodies concerned to firmly deal with all encroachments on state-owned lands. The President also called for providing all necessary capabilities for committees tasked with legalizing the status of such lands.
February 11: President Abdel Fattah El Sisi opened the Egypt Petroleum Show (EGYPS 2020) under the theme of "North Africa And the Mediterranean: Delivering The Needs of Tomorrow." More than 270 local and international industrial experts take part in the event along with 1,600 participants.
- On the sidelines of the Egypt Petroleum Show "EGYPS 2020", President Abdel Fattah El Sisi met on Tuesday with CEO of Schlumberger, the world's largest oilfield services company, Olivier Le Peuch, in Cairo. Sisi said he looks forward to furthering partnership with the oilfield services giant and making the best use of its resources and state-of-the-art technologies to develop and digitize Egypt's petroleum sector.
February 17: President Abdel Fattah El Sisi opened the Military Factory 300, an offshoot of the Abu Zaabal Company for Engineering Industries. The President inspected the factory's production lines and spoke with engineers working there.
Official Visits to Egypt
Belarusian President Visit ( February 19 -21)
February 19: Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko embarked on a two-day official visit to Egypt for talks with President Abdel Fattah El Sisi on a host of issues of mutual concern as well as means of promoting bilateral ties.
- The two presidents discussed the implementation of agreements reached during Sisi’s visit to Minsk in the summer of 2019, and the prospects of developing economic and trade relations. Their talks also took up interaction issues on international platforms and ensuring security in the region and in the world at large.
- President Abdel Fattah El Sisi and Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko attended the signing of four agreements and memoranda of understanding to enhance cooperation between the two countries following a session of talks.
- Speaking at a press conference with his Belarus counterpart Alexander Lukashenko following an expanded round of talks, President Abdel Fattah El Sisi has stressed Egypt's keenness on promoting relations with Belarus in all fields to meet the aspirations of the peoples of the two countries. Egypt seeks to upgrade relations with Belarus to the level of true partnership, Sisi said, calling on Belarusian businessmen to invest in Egypt's mega projects, including the Suez Canal Economic Zone.
President's meetings with foreign officials
February 6: President Abdel Fattah El Sisi received Saudi Minister of State for African Affairs Ahmed Abdel Aziz Qattan and handed over the message from King Salman ben Abdel Aziz of Saudi Arabia. It also reiterated the kingdom's keenness on boosting Egypt's political and diplomatic efforts towards different regional and international issues to preserve the country's national interests.
February 12: During a meeting with a delegation from the French-Egyptian Friendship Group of the French Senate, headed by Catherine Morin-Desailly, President Abdel Fattah El Sisi praised fruitful cooperation between Egypt and France at the parliamentary level.
February 24: President Abdel Fattah El Sisi received the chiefs of intelligence taking part in the Arab intelligence forum with head of Egypt's General Intelligence Abbas Kamel attending. Sisi welcomed the delegations taking part in the forum in the aftermath of the challenges on the regional and international arenas and their repercussions on the stability and security of Arab countries, expressing Egypt's support for all initiatives that would promote cooperation among all Arab countries.
February 24: During a meeting with heads of supreme and constitutional courts in Africa, who partake in the fourth African chief justices conference, organized by the Egyptian Supreme Constitutional Court, President Abdel Fattah El Sisi stressed the importance of the role of constitutional courts in the development process in Africa as a main pillar of stability.
President’s Foreign Visits
President Sisi’s Visit to Addis Ababa (February 9 -10, 2020)
President Abdel Fattah El Sisi arrived in Addis Ababa to participate in the 33rd African Union (AU) Summit.
- The two-day summit held under the theme "Silencing the Guns: Creating Conducive Conditions for Africa's Development," with the participation of 31 heads of state and four prime ministers along with seven foreign ministers and three African vice-presidents.
- Ethiopian President Sahle Work Zewde received Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El Sisi upon his arrival at Addis Ababa Airport.
- Speaking at the APRM Forum of Heads of State and Government in Addis Ababa, President Abdel Fattah El Sisi has stressed that the African Peer-Review Mechanism (APRM) is independent of any interference whether from the continent or from outside Africa.
- Addressing the African Union’s Peace and Security Council session on Libya and the Sahel, hosted by Addis Ababa, President Abdel Fattah El Sisi warned that the continued flow of thousands of terrorists and foreign fighters from Syria to Libya will not only threaten Libya’s security, but will also affect neighboring countries in the immediate future.
- President Abdel Fattah El Sisi met with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in Addis Ababa. During the talks, Sisi stressed the importance of working to consolidate relations with Canada at all political, economic and commercial levels, in a way that serves the common interests of the two countries, especially in light of the high-level visits recently exchanged from both sides.
- President Abdel Fattah El Sisi met with his Algerian counterpart Abdelmadjid Tebboune in Addis Ababa. The two leaders exchanged visions on several regional files of common concern, especially the Libyan crisis. They affirmed keenness to end the Libyan crisis by reaching a political solution that paves the way for restoring security and stability in the country and undermines external interventions in its internal affairs.
- President Abdel Fattah El Sisi met with UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres in Addis Ababa and asserted that Egypt is keen on maintaining cooperation with the UN institutions in the different domains to boost international peace and security. During the meeting, Sisi reviewed the priorities Egypt paid attention to during its presidency of the African Union, which included continuing progress as regards the implementation of UN Development Agenda in Africa, boosting inter-Africa integration projects and regional merging in addition to achieving tangible steps on the track of settling disputes.
- President Abdel Fattah El Sisi chaired the inaugural session of the 33rd Ordinary Session of the Assembly of the African Union with the participation of 55 African heads of state and government and senior officials as well as key international figures including UN Secretary General António Guterres. Addressing the inaugural session of the AU Summit which is held under the title of "Silencing the Guns: Creating Conducive Conditions for Africa's Development”, Sisi reviewed the Egyptian efforts to enhance stability and development in the African continent during its presidency of the union starting from February, 2019. He expounded Egypt's vision as regards the roadmap for African development that was launched in the past year.
- President Abdel Fattah El Sisi made the remarks during his address at the 33rd African Union summit in Addis Ababa and stressed that the Palestinian issue will remain at the hearts of African peoples and countries affirming that African countries will always stand in solidarity with Palestinians' legitimate rights.